Sunday, July 31, 2016


Got 2 sets of bubbles done. The thread for working the bubbles is interesting - it appears to be light blue silk wrapped with gold - see closeup.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Purple Seaweeds Done

When I first put the purple seaweed stems in, I thought it didn't look very good. It looks much better with the fronds stitched. And then I realized (ok, I had to look it up) that this is a triadic color scheme, and it is actually the perfect balance to the focal orange color - with orange, purple and green forming the triad. I have to get better at identifying and utilizing the traditional color schemes...

Bubbles next, and then it is done!

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Green Seaweeds

The seaweeds look very nice! Today's progress:

I made the little fish nibbling on the seaweed - as I made a mistake and didn't stitch his mouth separately, like the other 2 fishes.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016


Started on the seaweed stems. The Miko-Yori threads are nicely stitchable. I put 4 strands on the needle and couched them down. I didn't have to lay them flat side-by-side - they look good without having to use the laying tool.

The fronds of the seaweed were done with 2 strands.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Small Goldfish Done

I finally got back to stitching this piece - the small goldfish is done. I broke down and got the LED clamp lamp, which works better for under-the-fabric lighting.  It clamps to the side of the stand, and casts a small circle of light, but it is not hot and does not interfere as much with my stitching.

And now all three fishes are done. The remaining seaweeds and bubbles should be easier...

For bragging rights from the recent GPR Seminar in Eugene, Oregon - I got First Place ribbon and Judge's choice in East Asian embroidery for Camellia; First Place ribbon for Goldwork for Blue Flower; and First Place ribbon for Beading for Rosy Posy - although for this one I got one point deducted for some scrunching of the yellow beads around the center circle; as it was stitched too tightly. I was not able to submit Falling Stars, which I think is a better piece; since I was only allowed to submit a maximum of three pieces, finished within the past 2 years.