Wednesday, December 28, 2016


Incidentally the colors ARE the colors specified in the instructions, although they look brighter in my piece, especially the peach color. Since I probably won't add the outlines, I may have to tone down the darkest colors around the beads, which means not using black, but still adhering to the color palette from the instructions.

Next are some laid stitches and JE style cross-hatching...

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Gatsby's Hat

I'm probably not going to put the dark outlines on her hat. I think they're somewhat harsh; I've lightened one of the colors in view of not having the heavy outlines. I'll review again and if I have to I will use a lighter color for the outlines.

This is the original from Trish Burr.

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Happy Holidays from Gatsby

Making modifications as I went along...

Happy holidays to all stitchers!

Thursday, December 22, 2016


I ordered some Southern Belle white cotton before I read that it's not as good as it once was. It appears to be thinner than the Southern Belle I ordered from Trish Burr several years ago. Hopefully it will hold up to the stitching.
I started on the collar using 8 strands of  JE cotton padding and a double strand of white floche. I did not like it, possibly because I was not supposed to be using two strands for stitching, even though I tried to lay them properly with the tekobari.

So I ripped it out and used 2 layers of 8 strands of padding. I also decided to add another texture element by using Appleton wool instead of floche, to give it a softer effect. The wool is also more forgiving than the floche, and makes it easier to stitch.

Sunday, December 18, 2016

The Nestlings Done

Decided to stop enhancing the nest:

Grub detail:

I'm excited to work on the Trish Burr whitework piece - Gatsby - next. Stay tuned.

Saturday, December 17, 2016

Nestlings Almost Done

This is the nest in progress:

I need to stop adding stitches to the nest! I may call this done:

The only item left is the grub that the female wren has in her beak...

Monday, December 12, 2016

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Female Wren Done

Both wrens are done. Here are the two together.

The turkey work for her is on the top of her leg, per the instructions. Looking cute!

Next are the babies...

On another note, I saw this Trish Burr piece and had to get it. Since I've not done whitework, I also got the A-Z book. I already have the Prancer reindeer piece from the Inspiration magazine, so I'll see which one, if any, I will to do after I finish this.

Thursday, December 8, 2016

Female Wren

Body is done. This is more difficult than the male, because there are less well-defined sections.  I added flat silk for the beak.
The tail is next, and even though turkey work is not called for, I think I'll put some in to match the male's - unless I can't find wool that matches the color.
I'm also considering adding silk to the eyes - to make them blacker.