Friday, April 10, 2015

Painting Silk Ribbons

This is a really easy way to paint silk ribbons, as it requires no "painterly" tools. I use YLI white silk ribbons and Pebeo SetaSilk silk paint.

1. Put a plastic wrap on top of a piece of white paper, and cut out the approximate length of white silk ribbons.

2. Pour out a small puddle of paint onto the plastic.

3. Dip the end of the ribbon into the paint. The ribbon will start wicking up the paint. Drag the ribbon through the paint.

4. When you are close to the end, use chopsticks to finish dragging the ribbon through the paint. If you are not competent with chopsticks (and I think that everybody should be proficient with this very elegant and useful utensil) you can use tweezers instead.


 5. Allow the ribbons to dry, iron to set the paint per the Setasilk instructions. Voila! Bright yellow silk ribbons.

Thursday, April 9, 2015

MC Step 3 - Color Contrast

I've decided on the piece to demonstrate Color Contrast for the Master Craftsman Step 3. I'm half way through with the essay but just can't resist starting on the stitching - which is better than all the way through with the stitching before starting on the essay! Instead of simultaneous contrast which requires the judges to stare at the piece until the after image color shows, I am doing complementary contrast, and probably value contrast. I bought some tulips and arranged them to come up with the drawing.


I started with my test piece on cotton, as usual. I added salt to the painted tablecloth area to see if the speckling added anything to the piece (it didn't but it was fun anyway). I tried at least 6 different ways to stitch the tulips (with and without padding) before I hit on the idea of using silk ribbon. As I resist buying any more supplies (ie. yellow silk ribbons) unless I can't make use of existing stash, I painted white ribbons with silk paint.
The top, bottom tulips are painted silk ribbons, the ones in between are various failures, stitched and restitched with cotton floss. The white tulip at the bottom was the first successful test flower, that I wanted to try out before painting the ribbons. The white leaf also looks best. I'm ready to move forward with a silk piece - or at least version one of the silk.


Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Moon over Water Really done (Honest!)

After consulting with my art teacher with a discussion of composition and left-right balance, this is the real final version. The sliver of cloud over the moon added a lot to the picture. The light far in the horizon is more evocative of another fishing boat, instead of a "mistake"! I think this can be sent in for EGA Challenge for this year.


Monday, March 23, 2015

Moon over Water Done Again (Really!)

Based on the comments of my friend, I thought about how to layer the sky. I painted silk gauze and burned the edges to represent clouds. The dark clouds look better than the lighter color ones on the left.

Mockup with a black mat - I think it makes the fishing light more striking.


Dark cloud details.

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Moon over water Done

I used the iPhone camera and that eliminated the barreling caused by my old Canon Point-and-shoot.
For the moon I ironed the template onto freezer paper, fray checked the edges, cut it out and stitched it using invisible thread. I picked a section of the silk that has a couple of small nubs to give the moon some shading.

The fisherman with his fishing light looks nice also, the light and reflection were stitched using Japanese flat silk.

The only part I don't like is the reflection of the water. But I don't know how to improve on it. I'll send it in for EGA Challenge and see what the judge suggests (which is the whole idea)...


Saturday, March 21, 2015

Silk Moon over Water

I used dupioni silk because of the horizontal weave of the fabric, but it didn't show up much. The hills were done with black silk gauze, and they look nice. However I don't think the reflection looks that good.

Closeup of the hills.


I may leave the sky alone. I'll have to ask my art teacher if the design has too many competing focal points. If I want to send this piece in for this year's EGA challenge (theme is layering) I want to add a layer to the moon as well. It's a good thing that EGA challenge is not pass/fail; I do it for the expert critique that helps me improve.

Monday, March 16, 2015

Moon over water

I designed a piece for Master Craftsman Step 3 - Color Contrast, to show simultaneous contrast. When I showed it to Suzy (my art teacher) she pointed out that it is not a good representation, which after thinking about it, I agree. I am however quite fond of this one so I decided to stitch it anyway, and to come up with something else for my Step 3 piece.


Here's my test piece on cotton:

Moving the raft, and a different approach on the left side:

At this point the test piece is in sad shape so I'm starting on the silk piece. Always nervous when painting...