Monday, August 26, 2013

Mottled Camellia

I finished 2 of the leaves and added short stitch holding (SSH) to the satin stitches. I used a 1/4 flat for the SSH as camellia leaves are smooth and shiny. Besides which it is easier than trying to do SSH with 1/2 twisted. They turned out really nice!

I started work on the mottled camellia.

Saturday, August 24, 2013

White Camellia

The white camellia looks really good with the gold center. I must remember this design technique!

I decided to wait for class in several weeks before attempting the mottled camellia, as this is the most difficult one. So I started to stitch the weft layer leaf instead.

Friday, August 23, 2013


Back to JE's Camellia. I looked at the work so far and they appear better than I remember. Amazing how they improve just by sitting there!
The white petals turned out well today.

Friday, August 9, 2013

Moth Orchid finished

I contemplated re-doing all the flowers to make them more to scale. I would remake them using a yellow color scheme, and save the purple petals for some small ornaments, maybe. Then I decided it would be much easier adding another stumpwork leaf, and some more roots, at the base

Detail of the base. Since the detached leaf was done on white muslin, I usually run  a green marker along the cut edge so the white is not obvious. After looking at the detail, I removed the root that is sticking straight up next to the date. I'll take a final photo when it is framed.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Orchid flowers done

The petals were stitched, cut out and assembled. I think the piece is a bit top heavy - I may have to add something at the base. Either more roots or some beads that represent orchid bark.

I happen to have an orchid that is in flower, so here's the comparison.

Detail of the flowers.

This piece has definitely cured me of wanting to do stump work flowers! Luckily I don't have any more purchased pieces that are similar.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Orchid petals stitched

All the orchid side petals are stitched. There are still the three center petals left. Stitching these petals was very tedious; they might have cured me from doing any more stumpwork flowers!