Friday, February 21, 2014

Restitch Hydrangea Leaf

This is the restitched leaf, SSH'ed and veined.

Another fun project - I am taking a Joggles Cindee Moyer art doll class, having failed in my attempt to do it by myself after purchasing one of her patterns. This is the first week of her 4 week lessons; the face is not great. However after I finish the class and have my techniques in place I will revisit.

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Waterlilies done

I added shading to the flower, and restitched the bud, giving it more definition. The stems were padded with 6 strands of floss, twisted and couched.

I cropped the photo to the way it would be matted.
I will now get out my paint brushes and try to paint over the resist lines that are showing, and I still need to decide what to do about the shadow.  Keep my fingers crossed; if I messed this up I'll consider this a good learning experience, or do a Rev 2.0.

Well I painted over the resist line, and they turned out ok - see underneath the stems. I darkened the shadow, and put my signature prominently on it to distract. I think I'll call this done. It's acceptable and was a good learning experience.

Monday, February 3, 2014


After unstitching the bad petal, I made sure all thesplit stitch outlines and padding were in place. The padding was done on every other petal, with a piece of heavy linen.

Petals were stitched with serica silk and white floss, and outlined with sewing thread.

I'm still debating about whether I should add more shading, especially on the top petal.

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Waterlily Petals

The center of the lily is padded, and the petals are outlined with my disappearing-ink pen.

I used 2 strands of #12 yellow perle cotton for the bullion knots for the lily center. That was very difficult to do; the threads kept snagging on itself, until I finally switched to a single strand of #12 cotton.

The top petal does not look right; I forgot to outline it with split stitch. The bottom petals looks better. To give it some depth, I knocked down the shine of the serica silk by overstitching it with cotton floss. I may add a little bit of darker shading at the base.

 The leaves turned out well.