Friday, February 25, 2022

Sinking Grecian Stems

Progress so far. Worked on the Grecian stems and decided that I would not follow the instructions. Sometimes I would succeed in sinking the Grecian by wrapping scotch tape around the thread to make it into a point, and pulled it through the hole I made with the awl. In other places I wasn't able to do that and had to separate the plies in order to sink the thread. Not separating the plies made for a better stem.


The red circles marked the stems that were sunk without separating the plies, and the green circles were sunk by separating plies. The yellow circle marked the spot where the shorter stem has to go under the longer stem (which was stitched first), and instead of sinking on both sides of the longer stem (groan), I carefully unstitched that part of the longer stem and threaded the other Grecian underneath.
After sinking metal threads I checked to see if I needed to re-stretch to make it drum tight again.

No comments:

Post a Comment