Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Moth Orchid

I decided to take a break from Camellia and work on a piece I got several years ago. It is a stump piece called Moth Orchid  from Luan Callery. When I ordered it I was just starting to do stumpwork, and I didn't feel I was ready to tackle it. I think I'm much more able to do this now. Also I got to try two new toys that I recently ordered. The first is the Pilot Frixion pen; the second is the mini hair straightener as suggested by Lois Kershner during the class I recently took with her.


For the backing I use a leftover upholstery fabric. It is cotton with a nice woven design. I traced the design using the Frixion pen. I tested it out and sure enough - the lines totally disappear when I hold a hot iron close to it. Very neat!
Then I straighten out the DMC thread using the hair straightener before I stitch with it. I don't know if it made much difference, but it was fun anyway.
Today's progress - the orchid stem:


No comments:

Post a Comment