Monday, January 21, 2013

Round knots revisited

I realized why the round knots on the lattice holdings are misshapened. The best instructions are in the Shuji Tamura book.  In this case the thread comes out from the right of the lattice intersection, the knot is formed, and the thread goes down into the left of the intersection. Two important points:
1. Spread the loop open with the fingers of your RIGHT hand,
2.  Pull the needle IN THE DIRECTION where the thread will go in when making the knot
After the knot has been formed, the "tail" with the needle is on the left side of the intersection and can then go down into the fabric without causing the knot to flop over. Another trick is to use the needle or the tekobari to keep the knot in shape while pulling through; but I haven't gotten the knack - I use my thumb to keep the knot in place while pulling through.

I took out half of the previous knots on the butterscotch undergarment and redid the knots in front - they are not perfect but turned out much neater.

Next is the outlining instructions for "TT". I used to think that TT meant "Tight twist" and I would make them by twisting the threads as usual, only much tighter. Then Mary Alice set me straight. TT is the "vein effect", used as outlining on the kimono. This consists of a soft undertwist, and hard overtwist, and sew while the thread is wet. After complaining "but that's nowhere in the book(s)" I found it in Susan Steven's book, page 252 which then refers to page 37, for Karayori - but no reference to "TT".
For my vein effect, I let the thread dry and put it on a koma so I can periodically twist it to keep it tight. I was worried that as it gradually dries while I'm working on it that it will look different as I go along, so I might as well make sure it is dried first. It makes a really good outline as the thread becomes almost completely smooth with no twist visible.

In places where there is too wide a gap between the undergarments, I did a double outline with both undergarment colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment